Sunday 14 April 2013

Starting Off- Otmoor

I have recently decided to create my own birding blog after being inspired by others who successfully do the same.  I intend to catalogue all of my birding journeys and species I encounter starting this.

Whilst in Oxfordshire yesterday I decided to have a brief trip to Otmoor (RSPB), despite torrential rain. Waterfowl included: Mallard, Teal, Shoveler, Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, 5 White-Fronted Goose and Mute Swan.  Later on a party of Wigeon flew in, only to be spooked by an overhead flypast from a Female (Ringtail) Hen Harrier.  Waders included:  Lapwing, Golden Plover, Oystercatcher, Redshank, and Common Snipe.  Other birds of interest were Chiffchaffs, numerous Little Egrets and Grey Heron, with one particular individual on its nest.

Female Hen Harrier

No comments:

Post a Comment